Wednesday, March 13, 2013

We Have A Pope

Shortly after Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI announced his resignation I realized that it was very likely that I would be on retreat during the Conclave to elect the new Holy Father.  Knowing that it was not a silent retreat but one being given to a group of priests.  I was confident that I would be able to keep up with the events, given our common interest and the communal rather then silent style of retreat. What I did not realize was the profound blessing it would be to share this experience with my brother priests.  In addition, the revelation of our new Holy Father and the name he has taken, spoke directly to my own heart as priest and pastor.

As I shared in yesterday's post, I had a profound experience of unity with the Cardinals as they were locked into the conclave; at the very same moment we began Mass here.  There is something special about participating in Mass comprised solely of concelebrating priests.  Our fraternity is strengthen in those moments in a way that I can not describe.  Knowing that 115 brother priests, who were called to serve the Church as Cardinal-electors of the new Pope, were assembled together at the same moment made our celebration of  the Eucharist a unique and profound occasion for me. I felt a deep love for my priesthood, my brother priests, the Church we serve and Christ who unites us.  I hope I will continue to remember and reflect on that moment.

When the white smoke began to billow from the Sistine Chapel, bells began to ring here in the building.  Again I was excited to be here with brother priests as our new Shepherd was revealed to us.  When the moment came, we were collectively confused, not being able to understand what the senior Cardinal Deacon said, other then the name Francis.  Quickly we all went to our smart phones to figure out who the Pope was.  We soon knew his name and then he was before us.  There was a definitive empathy in the room as we saw a man who looked caught off guard by this new mission to which the Holy Spirit called him.  We all knew that feeling and that look, because in a small way, we too have faced new assignments and overwhelming challenges.  Not being fluent in Italian, none of us were quite sure the words he spoke, but we collectively observed his demeanor change as he spoke to the people.  We know that look and that feeling too, because there is nothing more empowering then the prayerful joyful support of God's people. How wonderful it was to see that it was in speaking to God's people that he was put at ease.

No words were necessary to make the most important statement of Pope Francis today, it was his action that spoke loudest and clearest.  I noticed he was not wearing the Papal stole over his shoulders when he came to the balcony, it was instead in the hands of the Master of Papal Liturgies.  He would eventually put on the stole to bless the people but only after he first bowed his head asking for our prayer for God's blessing on him.  The humility of a priest before his people is essential to his mission, the mission of Jesus Christ who washed the feet of His disciples before he laid down his life for them.  My heart and my faith were deeply moved by this action of our new Vicar of Christ.

Last night during a holy hour I prayed for a Pope that would make me a better priest.  As I reflect on who this new shepherd appears to be, I am filled with hope that my prayers have been answered.  Those who are close to me or have heard me reflect on faith know that the Spiritual Exercises of St.Ignatius  have been foundational to my spirituality, the life of an active contemplative.  I look forward to his Ignatian inspired leadership which teaches that the work we do is Ad maiorem Dei gloriam. All for the Glory of God.

Beyond his Jesuit spirituality the Holy Father has chosen the name, Francis.  It was announced that he has chosen to be the first pope called by this name, in honor of Saint Francis of Assisi, who heeded God's call to rebuild the Church. I suspect it may also be reflective of the great Jesuit, Saint Francis Xavier, the missionary to Asia.  Like Francis Xavier, who gave his whole heart to the people for whom he was sent to preach the Gospel, I know that in this age of New Evangelization my priestly ministry must have the same fervor and zeal. More importantly in my almost 4 years as a Pastor I have been about the work of rebuilding the Church at Holy Family in Hicksville.  In one month's time we will, God willing, see our church building physically renovated.  This was important work which needed to be done to preserve the structure as a fitting place for worship. Our renovation has also been symbolic of what needed to be done spiritually in a community that had been broken by scandle and struggle.  I am so grateful for a Pope who I hope will help me to be the Pastor I have been called to be, rebuilding the Church, physically, communally and spiritually.



We have a Pope, The Lord has given us Francis, to rebuild His Church and in so doing share in the building of the Kingdom of God. May our prayers sustain him and bless him.





No comments: