Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving -- what's in a ...sign?



I would be happy to let this sign speak for itself but I am not sure what it is saying.  I passed it the other day and had to go back and take a picture.  I felt it was saying something about the current culture of stores open on Thanksgiving and the commercialization of Christmas but in the end I can't say it has a specific message other than -- its all a mess.

This sign makes me thankful that BK is not an option for me on Thanksgiving.  I am blessed to have a "young mom" who is still able to make Thanksgiving dinner.  For 46 years Thanksgiving for me means cream of cauliflower soup, stuffing (dressing for people from other parts of the land) that is uniquely Mom's, turkey, an abundance of vegetables and of course pumpkin bread.  More importantly - my family.  I am thankful that a lonely whopper jr has never been a part of my thanksgiving.  It makes me sad to think that for someone - that is Thanksgiving.  On thanksgiving I remember those whose meal and whose table mates will be found at this banquet.

As a priest, I have accepted the fact that I work on holidays.  It was on the job description. My work on thanksgiving, however, is proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ. My job is celebrating the Eucharist (did you know that is the Greek word for thanksgiving?)  Having the obligatory fast-food background on my first job resume, I can't imagine having to go to work on Thanksgiving day amidst croissand'witches and onion rings.On thanksgiving I am grateful that I don't have to support myself under the florescent lights and heat lamps of fast food.

I thought I was "movin on up" like George and Weezie when I set aside my Roy Rogers apron for a Time Square Store shirt and tie but I soon realized the all that glitters is not gold when it comes to retail employment.  There was a time I was proud to wear the Macy's star, but I am grateful it was during a bygone era when "Black Friday" actually meant Friday.  Its good to know that there is a free cup of coffee waiting at Burger King for the weary shopper at 3:18 a.m. I am thankful, however, that I am neither the shopper nor the brewmaster.

As sad as this sign made me, it makes me sadder to know that it is a beacon of hope for the lonely diner, the desperately unemployed and the sufficiently duped Black Friday shopper.  The sign that I only happen to see because of the good fortune of a red light helped me to know I have much to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day.  It also challenges me at the depth of my soul to pray for those for whom this sign is a sign of respite, financial stability and an affordable meal.

May we be ever grateful for our abundant blessings.  Whatever our struggles may be, let us always be thankful for the blessings that are ours.

2 comments:

jane said...

well said. you expressed yourself as all of us should do...giving thanks through the Eucharist is pleasing to our God and joyful for us. so glad we have priests who bring us Jesus every day! Thank you, Lord.
jane

Fr. Gerard Gentleman said...

Thanks for your support and your words