Sunday, November 15, 2015

SHEPHERDS WITH THE HEART OF CHRIST



Fr. Gerard Gentleman with Diocese of Rockville Centre Seminarians
Alexander Turpin, Michael Bissex and Leo Song
after celebrating Mass together at St. Peter's Basilica
"I will give you shepherds after my own heart" (Jer. 3:15).
In these words from the prophet Jeremiah, God promises his people that he will never leave them without shepherds to gather them together and guide them:
"I will set shepherds over them [my sheep] who will care for them, and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed (Jer. 23.4). 
Without priests the Church would not be able to live that fundamental obedience which is at the very heart of her existence and her mission in history, an obedience in response to the command of Christ: "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations" (Mt. 28:19) and "Do this in remembrance of me" (Lk. 22:19; cf. 1 Cor. 11.24), i.e:, an obedience to the command to announce the Gospel and to renew daily the sacrifice of the giving of his body and the shedding of his blood for the life of the world. 
Pope John Paul II, Pastores Dabo Vobis
Because I have spent my days of sabbatical in the company of priests and seminarians, a deeper appreciation for the gift of priesthood has been an underlying grace that I have received. My gratitude for the vocation of my brothers has increased and my admiration for seminarians has grown.  There is a unique joy that comes from drawing close to the enthusiasm and sacrificial love of the church that one can find in a seminarian. 
Last Thursday, I began my day with the blessed opportunity of celebrating mass at St. Peter's Basilica, with the seminarians from my diocese. After mass, I recalled a conversation we had a few nights earlier about the division that sometimes occurs between generations of priests. Unfortunately, this division often manifests itself in matters concerning the sacred liturgy.  Yet is in the celebration of the Holy Eucharist that we are united perfectly with Christ, not only in the sacrament we receive, but as priests, through our offering of that sacrifice.  St. Josaphat, the saint we honored that day, restored unity to the church by directing the disagreeing faithful to the commonality of their liturgical texts. Mindful of the diversity of the church, I pray that multi-generations of priests of today be similar agents of unity. Through us, the Eucharist is a manifestation of joyful unity with the Lord and His body.  It is my hope that a fruit of our mass the other morning may be that my young brothers and I will always find fraternal care and mutual admiration in the sacrifice that unites us.


Later that afternoon, the priests of our program had the privilege of meeting with the Prefect of the Congregation for Clergy, Cardinal Beniamino Stella. His Eminence was generous with his time and gracious with his words to us.  He acknowledge that Pope Francis can appear to be tough on priests, but he said it is because the Holy Father wants us to be caring and merciful shepherds, whose sole desire is to bring people to Christ.  The Cardinal spoke to us of how seriously he takes his role and views it as an opportunity to assist priests in their ministry and care for them in their struggles. It is true that there are times that I have wondered if the Pope knows that priests need a compassionate shepherd too. The opportunity to meet Cardinal Stella and his staff reassured me that the Church does indeed care for its shepherds, not simply for ourselves, but so that we might be the servants the Lord has called us to be.
From beginning to end, it was a day that assured me that the Lord will continue to provide the Church with Good Shepherds, who care for their flock and each other.

No comments: